Friday, June 24, 2011

What is optimal?




From my coaching clinic manual concerning long course athletes and "what is optimal?"

"Athletic goals need to sit in harmony with life goals and the reality of an athlete’s life situation. It only takes a little too much volume, intensity or fatigue to tip an athlete over the edge. There is no worse feeling for an athlete than falling apart two weeks out from a goal race after a whole season of diligent preparation."

"Athletes require constant reassurance that it is okay to rest. The single greatest item that most age-group athletes can add to their program is an extra hour of sleep every night."

 If only there were more hours in the day. I know I spend a bit of time futzing around at home but lately it's sleep, eat, train and work with about 2-3 hrs per day to myself. I never feel like I am sleeping enough. I just read somewhere today that during a build period Andy Potts sleeps 11 hours per day. Must be nice to not have a full time job in addition to training. I am also sure he is not trying to keep his house in order and plan meals at the same time.

Just doing the best I can right now to prepare myself and hopefully the wheels won't fall off before race day.

1 comment:

  1. And this is why we can't have people over.
    I long ago gave up trying to keep the house in order.

    ReplyDelete